Total Pageviews

Friday, November 26, 2010

Best Thanksgiving Day Turkey Ever!

I just wanted to share a great way to cook a turkey.  I bought a Murray's Turkey from Ira over on 20th street; brought that bitch home and deboned it.  Deboned it?  That's right.  I got me one motherfucking sharp ass knife...any sharper and I could have turned it on at the handle and cut off Luke Skywalker's arm with it.  I cut down the center of the breast and pulled the meat away from the keel like opening up a dinner jacket.  When I got to the leg, I made a cut running from where the thigh socket inserts into the pelvis, all the way to the little bird's foot.  Again, I peeled the meat away, this time as though it's pants had been sliced down the front and then opened up the meat like curtains to a show.

I skipped doing the wings similarly to the legs because it was too much work for two little return.  I just ripped them out of the socket and saved them for stock.  Finally, I cut the meat away from the spine and Voila! (as Julia Child might say), I had deboned the turkey.

Because of the turkey's size, I chose to cut the 'dinner jacket' in two  from top to bottom so that each side was comprised of a breast and and a leg all attached together with the skin.  Then I beat the living daylights out of the breast with a meat tenderizing hammer to flatten it out, sprinkled the inside of the 'jacket' with salt and pepper, then lathered the whole inside of the turkey with a stuffing mixture.  I froze the other portion for later use.

Next I rolled that bitch up and tied her together with string, buttered the skin, salt and peppered the whole thing and threw her in the oven till the thermometer registered 170.

Fantastic.  Once the bird comes out, you just slice it down.  It looks like a perfect rollatine.  Roasted potatoes on the side with a nice pumpkin/squash puree and some gravy...delish!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

No comments: